Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie
Created by CMP Instructor: Julie Goldstein
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
My family is always looking for recipes that are easy to make, packed with nutrients and vegetarian. My husband and I have been playing around with our Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie for years and finally created a recipe that works for all of us, including our toddler!
A FEW QUICK TIPS:
- If you are short on time, you can substitute fresh veggies for organic frozen veggies. If you are vegan, you can use vegan cheese and add in vegan meat substitutes.
- If you are looking to add in protein, you can cook lentils and then add in the vegetables for a hearty protein-packed punch.
- Mix and match any number of vegetables, spices and cheeses.
WHAT DOES IT TASTE LIKE?
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 organic carrots
- 3 stalks of organic celery
- 2 organic tomatoes, diced
- 2 organic russet potatoes
- 1 cup of organic frozen peas
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of organic milk (this could be almond, rice or cow’s milk)
- 2/3 cup organic flour
- 2 tsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups of organic cheddar cheese
- Pie crust
- Phyllo dough
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice large potatoes in half, place in a large pot and fill with water until they’re covered. Bring to a low boil on medium high heat, then salt, cover and cook for 25 minutes or until soft, then drain.
3. Sautée onions in olive oil or butter for a few minutes, add in chopped garlic. Stir in carrots, celery, peas and tomatoes. Add in salt, pepper and seasonings. Cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add in flour, milk, stir and cook until the vegetables cook through.
5. Stir in cheese, herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
6. Pour vegetable mix into the pie crust.
7. Layer phyllo dough.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Blog by Julie Goldstein – Master Artist & Art Studio Teacher
If you enjoyed this post we invite you to read our blog, “Healthy Fall Snacks for Kids.”
Carmel Mountain Preschool provides a safe and caring environment with hands-on, developmentally-appropriate programs for children. We also offer excellent care for elementary school-age students with our before and after school programs. CMP is located at 9510 Carmel Mountain Road, San Diego, CA 92129, situated between 4S Ranch, Rancho Peñasquitos, Carmel Valley, and Santaluz. For more information, please visit our website or contact us at 858.484.4877.