I love making this soup because if I have a little more or less of the ingredients it still turns out amazing. Even if I leave the soup ingredients cooking on the stove longer or shorter because I have to run out of the kitchen to change a diaper or handle some other mom distraction, the soup still turns out great. It’s the soup you can make as a mom and not mess up, even with all the distractions and surprises that we have on a daily basis. Plus it’s simple, healthy, delicious, and my son will eat it.
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes (or longer if I get super distracted)
- 4 to 6 potatoes washed and cubed (a lot of people skin the potatoes but I don’t have time for that and there are so many nutrients in the skin). I use all different types of potatoes and mix them – I use whatever I have in my house and they are all different sizes, colors, and shapes and it doesn’t matter.
- 4 to 6 leeks washed well and chopped finely
- 4 to 8 tablespoons of organic butter or olive oil or a combination of the two. (I tend to use 8 tablespoons because I’m all about healthy fats but you can use the lower amount depending on your preference)
- 2 cubes of Rapunzel Organic vegetable bouillon cubes
- 3 to 6 cups of water, depending on your preference for consistency
- Salt to taste
- Toasted fresh bread, fresh olive oil, and pepper to garnish
- Using a big pot, throw the olive oil, butter, and bouillon cubes into the pot over low heat.
- Start chopping the leeks and simply add them in as you chop them.
- Sauté the leeks for 10-20 minutes (for me, this depends on how many times I get distracted by my son) and factoring in how long it takes me to chop the potatoes.
- Add the potatoes and sauté everything for another 10-20 minutes (again, also depends on how many times I get distracted).
- Once all the vegetables are cooked through and softened, add 3 cups of the water and some salt.
- Cook everything for another 10-20 minutes depending (and again, timing for this step highly depends on how many times I get distracted).
- Take a hand immersion blender and blend up all the soup ingredients, and (if needed) add more water depending on desired consistency.
- Add salt to taste, and ladle into bowls.
- I drizzle olive oil on top of the soup and add some toasted fresh organic homemade bread crumbled on top as a tasty garnish. I also like to serve with red and black pepper on the side for everyone to pepper their own soup however they choose.
If you enjoyed this post we invite you to read our blog, “Delicious Nut Free Granola Bar Recipe.”
Carmel Mountain Preschool provides a safe and caring environment with hands-on, developmentally-appropriate programs for children. We also offer excellent care for elementary school-age students with our before and after school programs. CMP is located at 9510 Carmel Mountain Road, San Diego, CA 92129, situated between 4S Ranch, Rancho Peñasquitos, Carmel Valley, and Santaluz. For more information, please visit our website or contact us at 858.484.4877.