Hello, Creative Parents!
This month Carmel Mountain Preschool is focusing on projects that are inspired by fall and the change of seasons.
In The Studio we used nature as our muse and went on an outdoor scavenger hunt to collect all of our materials for the projects this week. The two projects that I’ll share with you are simple and perfect to do at home.
Project #1 – Salt Dough Leaf/ Flower Necklace
The first project is a Salt Dough Leaf/ Flower Necklace. This lesson engages children and allows them to connect with nature, experience the five senses and empowers them to manipulate materials in a new and unexpected way.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup water
Other Materials Needed
- Leaves, flowers, seed pods or anything that you find in nature that inspires you and will fit inside the pendant
- Paper plates or Parchment paper
ACTIVITY – Step by Step:
1. Mix the dough together using the above recipe
2. Let the salt dough sit and go on a nature scavenger hunt
3. Collect leaves, flowers and seed pods
4. Return to the table and distribute plates or parchment paper
5. Sprinkle flour onto the surface of the table and have the kids wipe their hands in the flour – this helps the dough from sticking on their hands!
6. Pass out a small amount of dough to each child and show them how to roll a ball
7. Have them practice rolling so they become familiar with manipulating the dough
8. Press the dough lightly and form it into a circle or rectangle
9. Lightly press the natural object into the dough
10. Poke a hole large enough to string the twine through
11. Let the dough dry in the sun or bake* it at 350 degrees for 10 minutes
*Tip: If you bake them, make sure that you watch. Sometimes they bubble and you don’t want to burn the leaves or flowers.
12. Apply a thick coat of Modge-Podge and let dry
13. String through twine or yarn
14. You have a beautiful, simple yet meaningful necklace!
Project #2 – Stick and Yarn Wrapping
The second project that we worked on this week is titled, “Stick and Yarn Wrapping.” The children are exposed to materials in a very basic and simple manner that provides repetition in a manner that helps children learn. During this lesson children engage in fine motor, hand-eye coordination, simple experimentation of natural objects and pure joy!
ACTIVITY – Step by Step:
1. Go on a scavenger hunt for sticks — both big sticks and small sticks
2. Choose three colors of yarn
3. Tie the yarn to the top of the stick
4. Demonstrate how to wrap the stick by going over and under (have the kids repeat the words with you as you demonstrate)
5. Keep adding colors–as they complete the wrapping–until the entire stick is full. Allow the children to practice and see what they create!
Blog by our resident art teacher, Julie Goldstein.
Carmel Mountain Preschool provides a safe and caring environment with hands-on, developmentally-appropriate programs for children. We also offer excellent care for elementary school-age students with our before and after school programs. CMP is located at 9510 Carmel Mountain Road, San Diego CA 92129, situated between 4S Ranch, Rancho Peñasquitos, Carmel Valley, and Santaluz For more information, please visit our website or contact us at 858.484.4877.