By: Julie Goldstein
For the past two weeks we have been tie-dying smocks up in The Studio. I thought it would be a fun idea for each child to make its very own “messy art” shirt. Every time they travel up to see me they will wear their colorful tie-dyed tee to protect their clothing and now they will have ownership over their creatively designed smock. This is a very fun and east project to do at home, a birthday party or in your classroom.
100% cotton t-shirts
Buckets of water to mix the dye
Sticks or wooden spoons
- Prepare all of the dye- baths. Mix all colors by following directions on the dye package. I used RIT dyes and they were bright and colorful.
- Add ½ cup of salt to enhance the color
- Apply rubber bands all over the tee (most children need assistance with this step)
- Immerse the tee into the dye bath and use the stick or spoon to press down
- Keep in the dye for an hour or two
- Ring out the excess dye
- Pull off the rubber bands
- Hang to dry
- Wash and Dry accordingly
- HAVE FUN!!